Posts Tagged ‘Winning Ugly’
This book has so many gems I don’t know where to start. For those of you that don’t know, Brad Gilbert, the author is the guy who had no business being on the court with the greats because of his poor tennis strokes and what everyone considered a low skill level, yet he beat many of the greats and made it into the top ten.
Here are just few of Brad’s great tips:
- Evaluate your opponent and think about the match on the way to the court. NOT after you get there.
- In the first two points of a tiebreak play “steadier” tennis, NOT “flashier” tennis.
- Do not change ANYTHING when you are winning.
- (Even though my video says to speed up when you are winning), Brad says not to speed up too much to the point you get careless.
- Agressive tennis doesn’t mean hitting harder. . . . it is being mentally more alert, aware of the significance of the situation and intent on not losing your advantage through sloppiness.
- In general, start the match with the sun at your back and the wind in your face.
This book has 100 times the tips mentioned above and I’m sure I’ll read it another five times this year. I consider this book a MUST HAVE for any serious tennis player.